Science Library Loan Desk Move
Visitors to the Science Library this fall noticed that the lobby has a new look. The Loan/Reserves/Interlibrary Loan Desk has been relocated from the second floor to the lobby and consolidated with the Directions Desk. The two desks were combined to streamline the check out process and provide better service in the following ways:
- Users will be able to check out materials at the point of entry.
- Interlibrary loan materials will be available for pick up at the Loan Desk.
- Students will continue to easily check out Course Reserves.
- Visitors will receive directional assistance from skilled staff.
- Building security will be easier to manage with staff stationed at the Loan Desk.
The UCI Libraries will realize significant cost and staff savings as a result of consolidating the two desks. The area on the second floor previously occupied by the Loan/Reserves/Interlibrary Loan Desk will be repurposed as part of the UCI Libraries space planning initiative.
For more information about the services at the Loan Desk, please contact Michele Upton, firstname.lastname@example.org or x46839. If you are interested in receiving email updates on the progress of library space projects, please go to: facilities.lib.uci.edu/spaceplanning.
On September 23, 2009, we extended a warm welcome to 60 new graduate students. Our annual reception, which was held in Langson Library, was lively and well attended. Students from all disciplines were introduced to our subject librarians and the wealth of information resources and services that are available in the Libraries.